Categories

Ads

Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi, French President Emmanuel Macron, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US President Joe Biden talk during an extraordinary NATO Summit at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, 24 March 2022. EPA-EFE/STEPHANIE LECOCQ

The secretary-general of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Jens Stoltenberg, announced this Thursday (24) that the military alliance has renewed its mandate for another year, in a context marked by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In a message on Twitter, Stoltenberg said he was “honored” that the NATO summit in Brussels on Thursday had extended his term “until September 30, 2023”.

“As we face the biggest security crisis in a generation, we reaffirm our unity to keep our alliance strong and our people safe,” he said.

The official had announced in February that in December of this year he would head the Central Bank of Norway.

Stoltenberg’s departure from the transatlantic military alliance was announced at a time of growing tension between Russia and Ukraine and the names of his replacement were discussed.

However, the outbreak of war in Ukraine led to a change of plans.

Stoltenberg, a 62-year-old economist who was twice prime minister of Norway, became NATO’s secretary-general in 2014.

Since then, his management has faced two critical moments.

The first of these occurred in 2019, when then-President of the United States, Donald Trump, seemed ready to tear apart the organization that Washington had promoted in 1949.

It was Stoltenberg who stopped Trump’s momentum, according to witnesses.

Trump’s departure from the scene erased a threat to NATO, but the alliance subsequently faced a major crisis with the widespread chaos in Afghanistan that followed the withdrawal of foreign troops in August 2021 after two decades of wartime presence in this war-torn country conflicts.

Source: With Agencies

Translator

Comments
All comments.
Comments